Favors for Friends are based in Newry and have been funded to develop a Timebank to build on the existing community spirit in the Greater Church Street area. Claire Quigley, time broker for the project has held a number of events for neighbours to come together to share what support they can offer and what assistance they would like. As well as making matches between local residents Claire has been in contact with local businesses to get their support for the community. She has so far enlisted a local dentist who has agreed to provide free check ups at home for older and home bound residents and a local taxi company has agreed to collect and deliver prescriptions for older people.
Aim of the Timebank:
- Promote relationship between all members of the community
- Create a mutual respect away different generations, race, ethnic backgrounds
- Create a sense of care in the community whereby everyone looks after everyone including our older generation and the most vulnerable community members.
Activities that are interest the elderly
Provide transports from Bingo nights, shopping…
Threeways Community Association, local community group
Rockview Noosing House & Advancine Cone Centre
Southern Ance Hospice
The Eaiwig Festbluarl Committee
Confederation of community groups
Aim of the association which is responsible of the TB:
Favors for Friends, Greater Church street Area:
- Promote the benefit of the inhabitants without distinction of age, gender, sexuality, nationality, ethnic origin, political or religious opinion,
- by associating the statutory authorities, voluntary organisations and the inhabitants in a common effort to relieve poverty, advance education
- and to provide or assist in providing facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation or other leisure-time occupation, with the object of improving the conditions of life of the said inhabitants.